Wednesday 11 November 2009

Old men

Memory of My Father


Every old man I see
Reminds me of my father
When he had fallen in love with death
One time when sheaves were gathered.

That man I saw in Gardiner Street
Stumble on the kerb was one,
He stared at me half-eyed,
I might have been his son.

And I remember the musician
Faltering over his fiddle
In Bayswater, London.
He too set me the riddle.

Every old man I see
In October-coloured weather
Seems to say to me
"I was once your father."


-Patrick Kavanagh


Two artists from different disciplines, Patrick Kavanagh the poet and Paul Cezanne, the artist wish to represent the old men. What are the skills / knowledge they each need? How do you as an audience respond to each piece? How does your own experience influence your response?







No comments:

Post a Comment